[EUGEN] (News Update #1) SAT VIEW

[EUGEN] (News Update #1) SAT VIEW

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 18 Jan 2012 11:06

Hi,

Here is the first of several news update threads we’re gonna post on this forum about the improvements we’ve made in the game since the beta. Others will follow …

Among the remarks the beta testers have made about Wargame, the most vocal ones involved the satellite view (or Sat View). It was reported that by showing the same amount of units details than on the field view, it gave a confused impression of the battlefield which, paradoxically, didn’t give much information about the situation.

Now, we’ve done some modifications. First, as soon as you get on Sat View, the detailed units description as visible in the field view is now replaced by NATO symbols. There won’t be a NATO symbol for any single unit, but instead some twenty-eight (to be precise) symbols, each representing a type of unit. Therefore, the Sat View should give you a quick and clear view of the situation and composition of the enemy movements, as long as any of your (or your allies’) units have a line of sight on them and have them identified. For you need to remember that spotting an enemy unit doesn’t mean you know exactly what it is, the observer needs to identify the unit’s type once spotted. Otherwise the unit will still appear, but as an “Unidentified” marker.

So, with less than 30 symbols all in all, each unit has to fall into a more general category, such as armor, infantry, APC, IFV, armored recon, attack helicopter, MLR, AAA, … Therefore, a M1 Abrams MBT or a M551 Sheridan Light Tank will fall into the same “Armor” category. Thus, Sat View may not tell you exactly what tank model or variant it is you see, but you’ll spot in the blink of an eye enemy concentration of tanks or artillery, … Hence, you’ll read with much more ease your enemy’s axis of attack, AA screen, …
But don’t worry if you’ve got trouble with NATO symbol: just moving your mouse on any symbol will display its type in full letters. Just in case … ;)

As you can see in the video below, you may switch from field view to Sat View and back either by zooming out, either by clicking (or using the appropriate hotkey) the “Sat View” button in the orders panel. Sat View still allows you to give order, usually large-scale maneuvers such as artillery strikes or counter-battery fire, flanking movements, …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHFGzNql0s

EUGEN TEAM
"The grass is always greener on the other side".
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: [EUGEN] (News Update 1) SAT VIEW

Postby Tac Error » Wed 18 Jan 2012 11:13

Very nice!

Most intelligent posts in this forum:
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage
Tac Error
Lieutenant

Postby sgnl05 » Wed 18 Jan 2012 11:32

Nice! It's really awesome that you guys are taking our beta feedback into account like this :D

I have a couple questions though:

Since these are NATO symbols, can we expect Warsow Pact to use a different set of their own, or will you just use these ones for both sides?

What happens when you've got tons of units in a really small area? When you're zoomed out will the icons overlap or stack on top of each other, RUSE style? Personally I'd much prefer the latter. You could even make it so that when you double click on an icon that's part of a larger stack, the whole stack is selected.

And the final question is... can we have the database now please? :lol:
sgnl05
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby FFR.Tarask » Wed 18 Jan 2012 11:40

I think is NATO side for both.
FFR.Tarask
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Wed 18 Jan 2012 11:41

It would be funny to see Soviet symbols being used...even wargamers seem to regard them as hieroglyphics!

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/5062/ussrmap1.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7697/ussrmap2.jpg

Most intelligent posts in this forum:
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage
Tac Error
Lieutenant

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 18 Jan 2012 11:47

Sorry, only NATO symbols, no Pact ones.
[EUG]MadMat

Postby SoldJack » Wed 18 Jan 2012 12:06

Amazing! This game gets better and better... it's news and videos like this that makes me even more excited to play this game! Good job Eugen!!!
Steam ID: SoldJack91
SoldJack
Private First-Class

Postby gottimw » Wed 18 Jan 2012 12:40

Did you consider using battalion names instead a symbols. I was thinking about it and even if you have couple of battalions in the same spot than the names could be stacked one after another.

My main concern about it is that this solution is too 'clean', by that I mean 30 ambiguous symbols that mean some general unit type. How does it work if i move two different battalions together ie tanks and infantry.

Other idea that just pop into my head would be using additional symbols within the battalion symbol to indicate its role, for example recon inf would have an eye, anti tank inf have a rocket etc.

But I am getting slowly and cautiously optimistic ;)

PS introducing new set for symbols is plainly STUPID so stop asking them to add it (cuz they might do it D:< ).

I hate to admit it, but maybe Alcarin was right all of this time.
I love GREEN font!
_____________.,,_ ______
____________o''___)~ ___
______________'''' ______
gottimw
Master Sergeant

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 18 Jan 2012 12:46

gottimw wrote:Did you consider using battalion names instead a symbols. I was thinking about it and even if you have couple of battalions in the same spot than the names could be stacked one after another.

My main concern about it is that this solution is too 'clean', by that I mean 30 ambiguous symbols that mean some general unit type. How does it work if i move two different battalions together ie tanks and infantry.

Other idea that just pop into my head would be using additional symbols within the battalion symbol to indicate its role, for example recon inf would have an eye, anti tank inf have a rocket etc.

Adding more and more symbols would not make the picture clearer ... or it will just come back to the beta's version of the Sat View: too much informations ... for less understanding.
We had to make choices and select the number of symbols that we felt would make a difference. We already have 28!

gottimw wrote:But I am getting slowly and cautiously optimistic ;)

More news updates will come. So keep tuned ... :)

EUGEN TEAM
[EUG]MadMat

Postby GeneralGonzo » Wed 18 Jan 2012 12:53

great improvement prior to the beta !

I´m looking forward to more informations :)
every board needs a general !
GeneralGonzo
Command Sergeant Major

Next

Return to News