PC PowerPlay Review

PC PowerPlay Review

Postby GunSlingerAUS » Tue 13 Mar 2012 17:08

Hey folks

Just wanted to point you to the review of W:EE that I wrote for Australia's top PC gaming magazine, PC PowerPlay. We gave it a nice double page review, and I scored it a very high 9/10. Not only has Eugen created an extremely unique and innovative style of wargame, they've also managed to make it extremely polished in the process. Not to mention an absolute joy to play.

Devs - please PM me if you'd like a PDF of the review.
GunSlingerAUS
Private First-Class

Re: PC PowerPlay Review

Postby Arnie » Tue 13 Mar 2012 17:11

Nice 8-) Its well deserved.
Arnie
Sergeant Major

Postby NoneSuch » Tue 13 Mar 2012 18:40

That's awesome, I'd love to read the review.
NoneSuch
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Falcrack » Tue 13 Mar 2012 19:05

Funny how the metacritic score for Wargame is only 79, while the vast majority of reviews are above 80/100. Just a few really bad reviews can significantly pull down the game average far below where it really ought to be.

They should really post a median score rather than an average score. I think it would be more accurate.

I think the user ratings are more accurate than the critic ratings in this case.
Falcrack
Lieutenant

Postby Barry » Tue 13 Mar 2012 19:17

Where can I read a review? If you can email me a .pdf, PM me and i will get you an email address. Otherwise, could you post a link here?
Barry
Sergeant

Postby NoneSuch » Tue 13 Mar 2012 19:27

I'm guessing as it's in a magazine he can't post it. Someone might scan it up later.
NoneSuch
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Barry » Tue 13 Mar 2012 19:29

NoneSuch wrote:I'm guessing as it's in a magazine he can't post it. Someone might scan it up later.

Yes, I was curious enough to find the magazine online but there's no sign on the review on the Web yet.
Barry
Sergeant

Postby GunSlingerAUS » Wed 14 Mar 2012 10:03

Let me ask the boss if I can post the PDF online.
GunSlingerAUS
Private First-Class

Postby troublmaker » Wed 14 Mar 2012 11:40

Falcrack wrote:Funny how the metacritic score for Wargame is only 79, while the vast majority of reviews are above 80/100. Just a few really bad reviews can significantly pull down the game average far below where it really ought to be.

They should really post a median score rather than an average score. I think it would be more accurate.

I think the user ratings are more accurate than the critic ratings in this case.

Critics are almost forced to give every game a decent review. Even the worst of the worst games get 8s on most professional reviewing websites.

Take RAGE for the PC:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage

79%, pretty good score. RAGE on launch did not actually work or run. It took a month for them to fix it for users of one type of graphics cards and another three months for them to create a fix for a different user of a graphics card. Despite this most game review websites gave this an 80 or a 90 because they got an advance copy of the game that was playable.

I would never trust the reviews of a professional website anymore. If everyone is giving this game an 80 or a 90 they're doing it because they have to, not based on the merits of the game. It's actually unfortunate because it doesn't leave much of a performance benchmark for the devs.
troublmaker
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby tiago » Wed 14 Mar 2012 12:38

There is a HUGE difference on being pressed to give good reviews to a bethesda ID software game than to an Eugen game. No offense intended to Eugen, but they do not have the leverage that ID has.
tiago
Captain

Next

Return to Wargame : European Escalation