Oh, the findings were absolutely truthful I think. Its just worth keeping in mind the vehicles in question when the comparison is made to the vehicles ingame. Direct hit with arty = dead tank I figure. Be it a 30 ton or 70 ton beast. But ingame whether its a Leopart 1A1 or a Leopard 2A4 would be a big difference.
- Top armor on modern tanks is the same as on M48 (I can find links on that if you want)
- Modern western tanks of the period (M1, Leo2 but mostly M60 Leo1 ect, wit possible exclusion of Chalenger1) have same armor plating on top but larger surface area, as well as large rear turret areas, which are poorly protected, and where amunition is, all are less than 30 mm steel.
- Shell fragments can penetrate up to 30 mm steel
- Modern scopes had larger surface area (panoramic scopes) and this were easier to damage.
- Hence those tanks were reletevly easily disabled with arty fire.
So for heavy arty Leo2 is more vulnerable than older Leo1 XD.
Also thermal obscurants were used by both sides (ie shtora) after the time period I believe. Also IR gear is not absolute - it still is affected with smoke.
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."